New England players are giddy with anticipation. Our summer visitors from across the country look forward to their summer in the Northeast. It’s finally time to break out of our covid containment. May has turned out to be the portal to a more normal experience at our nine casinos than what we’ve seen since March 2020. Here are 8 reasons why casinos and customers are optimistic for the summer of 2021.
All signs point to a great summer
1. Almost 50% of Americans have received at least one dose
- New England states over 55% with at least one dose
- Vermont and Massachusetts are the only states in the United States with over 60% of residents with at least one dose
- Maine leads the country with 48% fully vaccinated
- 5 New England states are among the 14% of fully immunized countries. The only New England state not in the mix – New Hampshire.
2. Another reason to be optimistic – air travel is on the rise
The Transportation Security Administration reported that just over 1.7 million people were screened at airport checkpoints on Mother’s Day this year, the highest number since March 2020. , US residents who enjoy traveling to gambling destinations now feel the need to travel and feel safe is improving. The timing couldn’t be better for the hospitality industry. And gambling destinations such as Las Vegas, Atlantic City, and New England can’t wait for the usual glut of summer tourism.
3. Las Vegas casino attendance is a positive sign for New England
McCarran Airport reports that more and more people are flying as companies increase capacity. Since March, the Las Vegas Strip has seen a dramatic increase in visitor numbers. Venues and clubs are starting to consider reopening. Swimming pools and some headliners are already back. Las Vegas casinos continue to be bullish as the number of COVID-19 declines across the country, encouraging more tourists to venture out and visit Las Vegas. If people are ready to fly to Las Vegas, tourists will be ready to fly to visit New England’s nine casinos this summer. National connections with MGM, Bally’s, Wynn and Mohegan Sun should entice travelers to visit the northeast.
Casinos and customers are optimistic for summer 2021
4. Foxwoods first to drastically relax pandemic protocols
Among the 8 reasons for optimism in the Northeast, Foxwoods removing certain protocols causes a boost of confidence. With more adults getting vaccinated and state restrictions on COVID-19 easing in Connecticut and the Northeast, Foxwoods Resort Casino is carefully starting to lift most of its COVID-19 protocols at its station this month.
- Face masks will always be required throughout the property.
- All the slots will be on and ready to play.
- Capacity restrictions will slowly lift in table games, restaurants, theaters, events and retail stores.
- Support remaining health measures to include ongoing advanced cleansing of high-impact areas and social distancing where appropriate.
“The strategic plan to roll back our COVID-19 measures is highly calculated and painstakingly programmed to ensure that we are doing the right thing and keeping our complex safe.”
Jason Guyot, President and CEO of Foxwoods Resort Casino
Jason Guyot, President and CEO of Foxwoods Resort Casino, worked closely with Mashantucket Pequot Medical Director Dr. Setu Vora to refine the plans for the resort. Guyot reported that “With the exception of face masks, all protocols will be lifted by or before May 19, according to Connecticut plans. We will be following our approach closely, but we are ready to introduce a safe and more relaxed “near-normal” environment for our guests and team members before the summer. ”
5. Increase in entertainment and dining options
Major League Baseball, allowing fans to watch games in part, brings hope to other places, inside and out. Entertainment venues are planning to open with small numbers as the vaccine further encourages indoor concerts and outdoor events such as barbecues and food trucks.
MGM Springfield brings back its outdoor concert series, and Mohegan Sun could have their Summer on the Rooftop series.
We are still waiting for the opening of the big stages for the concerts. Mohegan Sun Arena, MassMutual Center, Fox Theater and Grand Theater, and Twin River Event Center typically host monthly or even weekly entertainment. DJs and comedians are the only options that prevail right now.
Related Article – New England Casino Entertainment Calendar, & New dining options at Sun and Encore
6. Increased capacity of casinos – Customers are optimistic
New England casinos can increase the number of customers inside and their restaurants and retail stores. Current meeting limits as of May 11:
- Connecticut – plan to lift capacity limits for most businesses on May 19.
- Maine – Casinos can operate at 50% occupancy, 5 people per 1,000 square feet or 50 people – whichever is greater. Maine will increase its capacity to 75% on May 24.
- Massachusetts: – Casino occupancy is capped at 40% of occupancy limits.
- New Hampshire – State mandates on interior and exterior capacity have been changed without restriction.
- Rhode Island – remains at 50%
What is extremely encouraging is that revenue represents the pre-Covid numbers at most casinos, particularly in Massachusetts.
7. Family activities continue to open up
Family activities and venues reopen in anticipation of summer.
Foxwoods – All rides and family activities are now open except HighFlyer ZipLine and Pequot Museum. Both will open soon, however.
MGM Springfield – Regal Theaters reopens three of its Massachusetts locations, closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Sun Mohegan – Game On continues to open.
8. More seats at table games, less plexiglass
“Rip that plexiglass” – and it is now, with more seats available as well. The opening of Mohegan Sun and Foxwoods poker rooms was a big draw, and poker players responded by overwhelmingly. After August 1, Bay State casinos will assess her reinstatement after Governor Baker rolled back all restrictions. 8 reasons why casinos and customers are optimistic
During this time, clients must wear face masks, even if they are vaccinated. However, more and more places are becoming available and the capacity of the tables is increasing.
Yes, customers are optimistic that summer 2021 will be the closest to normal in our nine casinos since March 2020. Finally, we are turning the corner. This tunnel light is getting bigger and brighter. So start making your plans – it only gets better from here.